Exploring the Wonders of Whittier: From the Mysterious Tunnel to the Historic Buckner Building

As we drove the winding Steward Highway that led to the Whittier tunnel, I couldn't help but feel a sense of excitement and nervousness. The tunnel, which stretches for over two miles beneath the Chugach Mountains, is the longest highway tunnel in North America and it's the only land access to the small town of Whittier, Alaska.

I had heard stories about the tunnel - how it was dark and narrow, allegedly haunted (what?!) with only one lane for traffic in each direction. But I was determined to experience it for myself as this was a bucket list item, so we set off on the journey.

The drive through the tunnel was unlike anything I had ever experienced before.  It's a shared corridor with train traffic so access is timed.  We waited about a half hour as outbound traffic passed through the tunnel.  When it was our time, there was a very orderly procedure that allowed smaller vehicles to proceed before trucks, buses, and large RVs passthrough. Due to the RV's massive size, we were paired with tour buses.  As we entered the narrow corridor, the RV was immediately enveloped in darkness. The headlights of my vehicle barely penetrated the blackness ahead, and I could see the walls of the tunnel passing by in a blur.  I intentionally slowed down to allow traffic ahead of us to gain a significant lead. I wanted to take my time to soak in this experience. 




As we inched our way forward, I could feel my heart pounding in my chest. It wasn't fear, it was adrenaline.  We were inside the longest tunnel on the continent.  Unspeakable pound of Earth hoisted above us.  My mind raced with fantastical thoughts.  "What if one side collapses? What if both!  What if the tunnel filled with Co2?  How does the ventilation system work anyway?  What would it look like if I turned off the headlamps?  Ooh, better not entertain that thought."  Meanwhile, I'm still inching our way through the tunnel.  I knew that there were other vehicles behind me, and I didn't want to hold them up. But I also knew that I had to be careful - one wrong move in our oversize RV would have disastrous consequences.  Besides, I was having fun. 

Despite the challenges, I found myself enjoying the drive through the tunnel. It was like a thrilling adventure, a test of my driving skills and my nerves. And when we emerged on the other side, it was like moving towards the light as if you were going to heaven.  The bright sunlight opposite the small town of Whittier became brighter and more pronounced as we approached the tunnel exit.  It started as a mere speck of light in the windshield.  Like a star in the nights sky, but like going through a birth canal we were born again as our RV resurfaced.  I felt a sense of accomplishment and exhilaration.  (Let's do that again!)



As I drove through the picturesque streets of the town, I couldn't help but feel grateful for the experience. The drive through the Whittier tunnel may have been challenging, but it was also one of the most memorable and exciting driving moments of my life. 




It was a cold and cloudy day in the small town of Whittier, Alaska, but that didn't stop our group of adventurous travelers from exploring the Historic Whittier Buckner Building. As we made our way up the winding road that led to the old military building, they couldn't help but feel a sense of excitement and curiosity.



The building, the largest in Alaska, and for its time one of the largest self-contained structures in the United States was constructed in the 1940s, had a long and storied history. It had served as a barracks for military personnel during World War II, and later as a hospital and even a school. But in more recent years, it had been abandoned and left to decay. There are even stories of the complex being haunted. (Why is everything old supposedly haunted?)

As we approached the building, they were immediately struck by the musty smell of age and disuse. The floors were creaky, and the walls were covered in peeling paint and graffiti. Despite its dilapidated state, there was something mesmerizing about the building. It was like a window into the past, a glimpse of what life was like for the people who had once lived and worked there.

Inside, through the maze of empty rooms and hallways, you could marvel at the old medical equipment and military paraphernalia still scattered throughout the building. As you climb up to the top floor, you'll be treated to breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains and glaciers.

Descending back down to the ground floor, we came across an old black and white photograph hanging on the wall. It was a picture of a group of soldiers standing in front of the building, smiling, and looking proud. The group couldn't help but feel a sense of connection to these men and women, who had braved the harsh Alaskan wilderness to defend their country.

As the sun began to set and it was time to head back to our basecamp, we left the Historic Whittier Buckner Building with a renewed appreciation for the rich history of this beautiful and remote part of the world.


No comments:

Powered by Blogger.