[Video] Navigating the Wilderness: Tackling the McCarthy Road

As we navigated our RV along the winding road from Chitina to McCarthy, I couldn't help but feel a
sense of excitement and adventure. The drive through the heart of the Wrangell-St. Elias National Park was known for its rugged beauty, and I was eager to see it all for myself.  The road, which stretches for over 60 miles through the heart of the Wrangell-St. Elias National Park, is known for its rugged terrain and challenging driving conditions. But I had always dreamed of exploring this remote and beautiful part of the country, and I was determined to make the journey.

The first major obstacle I encountered was the Kuskulana Bridge. The bridge spans the Kuskulana River at a height of nearly 240 feet. It is a narrow one lane bridge, unpaved with only wooden planks and metal skeleton supporting the weight of vehicle traffic.  Before I even reached the Kuskulana Bridge, I had to navigate the infamous Chitina cut. The cut is a narrow and winding section of road that hugs the side of a steep mountain, with no guardrails to protect against a fall. As we made our way along it, I could feel the RV swaying and rocking, and I had to grip the steering wheel tightly to keep it on course.



 As we approached the Kuskulana Bridge, we could see the river far below, rushing and foaming over the swift moving current of glacier melt. Whereas I found it exhilarating and wanted to cross the bridge as slow as possible to take in the splendor and danger of our activity, my companions took several loud audible deep breaths as we started the crossing.  I suppose trying to ignore the butterflies in their stomachs. Our RV tires were slick from the mud that accumulated while navigating the Chitina Cut.  It certainly didn't help matters that the wooden planks on the bridge were slippery from the rain and had small patches of moss and algae growing on the surface. The bridges' small guardrails surely wouldn't support the 20,000-pound RV should we begin to slide on the wooden planks.  I had to be extra careful to keep the RV steady. 



Despite the challenges, we made it across the bridge without incident, and my passengers breathed a sigh of relief as we reached the other side. As I navigated the winding, narrow McCarthy Road, I was struck by the breathtaking beauty of the landscape. The towering peaks of the Chugach Mountains rose up on either side of me, their snowy summits glowing in the bright sunshine. Wildflowers bloomed along the roadside, and I could see the glint of a mountain stream in the distance.




Despite the stunning views, I knew that I had to stay focused on the road. The McCarthy Road is not for the faint of heart - it's unpaved and rocky, with steep drop-offs and no guardrails. One wrong move could have serious consequences. As evident by the numerous wreaked and abandoned trucks, trailers and mobile homes that litter the road.



As I drove along, I encountered all sorts of hazards. Potholes and washouts lurked around every bend, and I had to be careful not to scrape the bottom of the RV on the rough road surface.  Technically most RV rental companies prohibit drivers from taking vehicles down McCarthy Road and some even issue a fine of $500 if caught in violation.  Rental contracts also stipulate that if you damage an RV while on the forbidden road you must cover the entire expense of repairs and recovery...  and it's a long distance back to Anchorage. 

Despite the challenges, I was having the time of my life. The drive through the park was an adventure like no other, and I couldn't wait to see what lay ahead.  After several hours of driving, we eventually reached the small town of McCarthy, nestled at the foot of the mountains.

As I pulled into the campsite, I couldn't help but feel a sense of accomplishment. I had successfully navigated the McCarthy Road and made it to McCarthy in one piece where many have failed.  That evening my reward was boondocking the RV at the base of the Copper River with the Kennecott Glacier looming large on the horizon.  The Kennecott Copper Mine and ghost town were just barely visible underneath the massive mountain of ice and that was to be our ultimate destination.  This truly was a bucket list journey that I will never forget.






No comments:

Powered by Blogger.